Monday, January 14, 2008

Christmas At Walt Disney World

I can't believe it has already been over a month since my Christmas trip. I had wanted to write about it sooner, but life has been busy ever since I got back.

In general, this was one of my better trips to the World. I had a wonderful time with the MouseFest activities, and met so many nice people! I also got to take the "Behind the Seeds" tour at Epcot's The Land pavilion. The tour was just ok - I don't think I learned that much more than what I'd heard on the boat ride through the greenhouses, but it was neat being able to see the plants and growing methods up-close.

I managed to see every one of my "Must See's"! Here's what I thought about each:
  • The refurbished Haunted Mansion: I got to experience this twice, and I must say, they did an amazing job on it. I loved all the new effects and the modified storyline.

  • The new Golden Dream montage in The American Adventure: I saw this late in the trip, after several days with not enough sleep. I hate to admit this, but I slept through most of the show. I did wake up when Golden Dreams started. I'm not sure if it was because I had just woken up, but it seemed like there were just too many images coming at me too quickly. I'll have to try this again after a good night's sleep.

  • "National Treasures," the new American Heritage Gallery exhibit: I was a little disappointed in this - there weren't many more items on exhibit here than what I'd seen in the online descriptions. And the lighting was very dim, making it more difficult to see what was there. I guess I was expecting more.

  • The new "O Canada!" movie: I saw this twice, and really enjoyed it. Martin Short's humor made the experience much more fun, very different from its beautiful but more serious predecessor.

  • The Gran Fiesta Tour in the Mexico Pavilion: I experienced this twice, too. Although I liked it, I still missed the original El Rio Del Tiempo theme song.

  • The refurbished Spaceship Earth (maybe): It sounded like my chance of seeing this was slim, but they began holding soft openings during my trip, and I actually got to ride it twice! Without spoiling it, I'll just say I loved the improvements made to the first half of the ride, and was bored by the second half. We'll have to wait and see whether they do anything else to spice it up.

  • The Harlem Gospel Choir at the Disney/MGM Studio's Theater of the Stars: I found it amusing that they kept calling themselves "world famous," like they were trying to convince the audience of that. But I did enjoy their energetic, heartfelt performance. Nice to see WDW making an effort to bring in some new acts during the holiday season!

  • The Laugh Floor Comedy Club: I only saw this once. I love this technology they have developed for the Living Character Initiative, and found the show funny and fresh. But what I hated was that I felt nervous the entire show that I might get selected - I prefer to be entertained more than being part of the entertainment.

  • The new Christmas parade (during Mickeys' Very Merry Christmas Party): I saw both runs of this parade durint MVMCP. It was good, but really didn't feel much different from the previous version. The new music seemed nice, but I don't even remember it now. I can't understand why they didn't have the music available for purchase, seems like pretty poor planning.

  • Finding Nemo, The Musical (so I can take photos this time): I did get to see this and take pictures without getting yelled at. We were seated pretty far back, tbough, so I couldn't get any closeups of the characters.

  • Dream-Along With Mickey (to see the new articulated faces): This technology is so cool! The characters with their moving mouths and blinking eyes look so lifelike! They were using these hi-tech heads in at least one other place as well, but I can't remember exactly where. It seems like it was during MVMCP, perhaps on the Christmas Parade floats, or Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas show?

And I almost forgot - here is a link to my trip photo gallery.

No comments: