Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I won't be touching the iPod touch!

From the first day I saw it, I thought that the iPhone was a pretty cool device. Problem is, as much as I love all it does, I really don't need the phone, nor the EDGE data transfer capability. I'd be happy to simply use it as a video iPod, and to use wifi to access the web and my e-mail. I kept saying, "Can't they just build an iPhone without the phone?"

Well, that's exactly what the recent rumors had been for the next generation iPod - music, video, and wifi without the phone. I was so looking forward to today's announcement, hoping that they'd be offering something closer to my dream gadget. You can imagine my disappointment when I started hearing the details of the new iPod touch. My biggest frustration: no e-mail application! Why the heck not? What were they thinking? They already have an e-mail application that works on the platform, it's not like they'd have to write something new.

I am so disappointed, I have even started fantasizing about picking up a 4GB iPhone from the clearance sale and using one of those hacks to activate it without signing up for the AT&T service. Seems like a waste of money, though. Plus, I'll probably outgrow the 4GB pretty quickly.

Here's hoping that Apple comes to its senses and makes the iPhone's mail application available on the iPod touch.

No comments: